Today I thought I'd talk about my love of cupcakes. To me cupcakes are all about the icing. It's got to be rich and delicious and decadent. There should be almost as much icing as cake. And they are just sooooo pretty! With perfectly piped icing and beautiful delicate decorations. Almost too pretty to eat... Almost!
Cupcakes seem to have taken off in the last few years with lots of dedicated shops opening up. My first real experience with cupcakes was through Delish Cupcakes in Auckland. My partner worked with Kathryn before she opened the store and we were lucky enough to get lots of free samples. Delish Cupcakes are amazing and if you live in AKL, definitely check them out. Next time we are up their way, I want to take one of their cupcake decorating classes. Here's some pics of their cupcakes. Don't they look as delicious as the name suggests...
![]() |
| The Delish Signature cupcake! |
![]() |
| Cupid's Touch Red Velvet Cupcake - I hope mine look this good. |
![]() |
| Cookie Dough Caramel Cupcake - does this not look amazing? Haven't tried this yet, but I can't wait. |
My love of looking at and eating cupcakes plus my love of baking and cooking has led to me trying my hand at cupcakes too. And I'm pleased to say, I'm not too bad. My boyfriend being an ex-chef helps as he's taught me about piping.
The first (and only) cupcake recipe book I bought is Divine Cupcakes and its fantastic. The chocolate cupcake recipe is fool proof! If you ever decide to buy a book, this one is the one!
I'll admit, my first few attempts weren't pretty, but I think each time just gets that little bit better. Here's some samples of my work...
| My first lot of cupcakes for SPCA Cupcake Day 2010 (decorated with the help of the lovely Patricia Buchanan) |
| The cupcake tower I made for my mum's 60th birthday in 2011. Banana cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. |
If you can be bothered tuning in to my next blog, I'll write about the above mentioned Red Velvet cupcakes, Relay for Life and my addiction to the Foodtown Magazine!



No comments:
Post a Comment