So, last year I had the idea of bringing in some mini chocolate cupcakes with little heart sprinkles to sell on Valentine's day to help my fundraising efforts for Relay for Life. This went quite well, so I decided to ramp it up a little this year and offer boxed red velvet cupcakes for people to buy and take home to their loved ones.
Not only was this good for our fundraising efforts, but I liked the thought of people getting a cute little surprise box with a beautiful tasty cupcake in it. Especially when they might not normally have gotten anything on Valentine's Day because their other half "doesn't believe in it" cos "it's just a commercialised holiday". It was my secret hope that more people enjoyed Valentine's Day because of my cupcakes. If even one person did, then it was a success!
Well, 17 pre-ordered cupcakes turned into 50! As a result, my Monday night was a little busy. I baked 3 batches resulting in 6 dozen red velvet cupcakes. Not a bad effort and they turned out really well. The extras I had sold out in the first 10 minutes. I think next year I need to make double! Here's some pictures of the final products...
We raised over $250 for our Relay for Life team which leads me to my next talking point.
Relay for Life
So, last year I took an opportunity to do something a bit different. Well, for me anyway. My work have entered a Relay for Life team for the last few years and Bridgette had captained it, so when she asked for team members, I decided to give it a go. Then the worst happened for Bridgette, she stuffed her ankle really bad meaning she couldn't do the Relay. Which meant we needed a new captain. And since my team call me Camp Mother, when Bridgette asked for someone to take over, I decided to give it a go. So, my first year in the event, was also my first year as captain.
So,What is Relay For Life? I hear you ask...
The Cancer Society's Relay For Life is a remarkable community event that helps
Teams enter to participate in an overnight relay event, taking turns to walk laps from 4 in the afternoon till 9 the following morning. You camp out with your team and enjoy the festivities. Leading up to the event, your team fundraises to raise money for the Cancer Society.
This year, Bridgette is back so we are co-captaining and are well on our way with fundraising. Our next big fundraiser is this coming Friday. We're having a Gala evening after work - Bake sale, Book sale, 2nd hand clothing sale and then games and raffles. I'm a bit nervous about it, but the planning seems to be going well. I've just made a couple of batches of Peppermint Creams (like after dinner mints - YUM!) to sell at the bake sale, have talked the boyfriend into baking chocolate brownies and I think I'll probably make some cupcakes again because people do seem to love them! Hopefully it goes well. I shall report back!
This year, Bridgette is back so we are co-captaining and are well on our way with fundraising. Our next big fundraiser is this coming Friday. We're having a Gala evening after work - Bake sale, Book sale, 2nd hand clothing sale and then games and raffles. I'm a bit nervous about it, but the planning seems to be going well. I've just made a couple of batches of Peppermint Creams (like after dinner mints - YUM!) to sell at the bake sale, have talked the boyfriend into baking chocolate brownies and I think I'll probably make some cupcakes again because people do seem to love them! Hopefully it goes well. I shall report back!

No comments:
Post a Comment